The Scallopers Campaign… working to bring flexibility, safety, and fairness to the Atlantic sea scallop fishery.
Thank you for adding your company, organization, and/or name to our roster of support. Please fill out the web form below. Please email [email protected] if you have any questions.
We Endorse Flexibility in the Scallop Fishery
As representatives of businesses and industries that support and rely on a healthy scallop fleet, we endorse the Scallopers Campaign request that the New England Fishery Management Council prioritize the discussion and development of a voluntary leasing program.
- The Atlantic sea scallop fishery is the most economically important fishery on the East Coast – and to continue its prominence it must secure operational flexibility.
- A successful, voluntary leasing program will provide the fleet with much-needed options for operational flexibility and will provide sustainability and economic stability for vessel owners, crew members, and support industries alike.
- The resulting operational efficiencies will conserve fuel and improve the economic benefits for scallop vessel owners and crewmembers.
- A leasing program will also generate important benefits for local economies and spur new vessel construction and major upgrades that will improve safety at sea for crew.
- Newer vessels and more efficient engines will reduce the fleet’s carbon footprint.